Creative Every Day Theme for December: Celebrate
November 28th, 2013
At the end of each month I will announce the totally optional theme for the following month. For the month of December 2012, the theme will be Celebrate.
If this theme looks familiar, it is! I did this one last year, but I felt the need to bring it back again this year. There's always room for more celebration. And if you've just about finished up Art Every Day Month, you should definitely be celebrating!
As always, this month's theme for the Creative Every Day Challenge is totally optional. Use it if it inspires you, continue being creative every day in your own way if it doesn't, or do something in between. You can sign up for the 2012 Creative Every Day Challenge anytime. More info can be found here and the sign-up page is here.
I'll be posting about the theme throughout the month on the blog to help keep you inspired. You can use the posts here for jumping off points or interpret the theme in your own creative way. If you need some suggestions, here are a few ideas to get you started. You could:
- *Find ways to celebrate your accomplishments this month, big and small.
- *Enjoy creating decorations for the holiday season.
- *Make some delicious food to celebrate the season.
- *Create mini celebrations each day: a tiny tea party, gold stars, a work of art for someone you love.
- *Celebrate your life through gratitude. Keep a list of something your grateful for each day.
- *Celebrate your body through movement. Put on some music and move, get out in nature and take a walk, put on a yoga dvd and stretch.
- *Celebrate your favorite medium with joyous creating. What color is your happiness, what medium speaks celebration to you?
- *Write a piece celebrating who you've become as an artist this year.
How to use the CED themes:
If you're feeling creatively stuck or blocked at any point during the month, use the theme as a source of inspiration to get you moving. Feel free to focus on the theme in your creative activities for the entire month or as much as you'd like.
Using the theme is entirely optional for CED participants. Use it if it inspires you, ignore it if it doesn't. I'll be sharing posts throughout the month around the theme (among other things) to get you thinking about how to incorporate it into your life. I'd love to hear how you use the theme in your creative world.
And have fun with it!
People of our time are losing the power of celebration. Instead of celebrating we seek to be amused or entertained. Celebration is an active state, an act of expressing reverence or appreciation. To be entertained is a passive state--it is to receive pleasure afforded by an amusing act or a spectacle.... Celebration is a confrontation, giving attention to the transcendent meaning of one's actions. ~Abraham Joshua Heschel